Why microsegmentation should be on your radar
Today’s software-defined world is transforming businesses, allowing them to scale and remain agile in an increasingly connected world.
The emergence of virtual technologies has also introduced new challenges, especially in the way of security.
As hackers become more savvy at creating targeted attacks, microsegmentation is empowering organisations to protect their most prized data and their brands.
What is microsegmentation?
Microsegmentation is a method of compartmentalising workloads into secure zones across on-premises and cloud deployments based on user-access, applications and services.
Unlike network segmentation, microsegmentation provides more granularity at a process level, giving IT teams more visibility and control over data traffic.
What are the benefits?
Microsegmentation is becoming a best-practice security measure for organisations looking to protect confidential data, ensure regulatory compliance, increase performance and ultimately ROI.
Key benefits include:
- Visibility: by microsegmenting the network, IT teams have greater visibility over the traffic flowing within the IT environment.
- Control: having greater visibility of data traffic enables IT teams to quickly identify, alert and block any malicious activity. In addition, microsegmentation enables organisations to apply improved access controls to data based on the principle of least privilege, thereby limiting the network attack surface and preventing attacks spreading to end points.
- Compliance: by dividing workloads and applications into microsegments, IT teams can isolate data and enforce compliance more effectively while simplifying the auditing process.
- Agility: microsegmentation provides a future-proof solution for securing data within evolving technologies. Limiting the network surface also allows applications to run faster, thereby improving performance.
Successful implementation of microsegmentation requires careful planning and access to the right technology and technical resources.
As part of the planning process, organisations should consider what critical applications and services they want to segment and who will have access to those segments. This information will form the foundations for creating a segmentation policy that can then be converted into a security policy.
It’s important to note that microsegmentation isn’t something to take on alone.
Organisations need technological expertise and enablement support to ensure a successful implementation.
This is where a true value-added channel enabler can provide support. At Arrow, our certified engineers work with partners to provide consultancy and professional services to ensure best-practice microsegmentation implementation. Our strengths include:
- Proof of concept (POCs) and demonstrations
- Network and security assessments
- Tailored recommendations for best practice
- Solution design that enables innovation on a phase-by-phase basis
- Technology solutions for data centre, security, cloud and data intelligence
- Implementation and deployment of the solution and policies
- Ongoing technical support for security, compliance and performance.
The partner opportunity
Microsegmentation represents a huge opportunity for partners to become stickier to their customers.
As a talking point alone, microsegmentation opens the door to cross-sell and up-sell technology and service offerings.
As a value-added distributor, we’re passionate about enabling you to capitalise on these opportunities.
Our access to leading technology combined with our inhouse team of vendor-certified engineers and channel services means we can help you land and expand the deal, so you can be your customer’s number one advisor.